Call for 3 Minute Thesis
After the successful past editions, the Technical Program Committee of EUSIPCO 2021 is offering for the seventh consecutive year a 3 Minute Thesis (3MT) contest, where PhD students have three minutes to present a compelling oration on their thesis and its significance. This activity is sponsored by EURASIP. It is an exercise for students to consolidate their ideas so they can present them concisely to an audience specialized in different areas. Together with scientific and technical quality, EURASIP wants to promote transversal skills of PhD researchers such as oral and presentation skills, and it also wants to help PhDs to gain visibility of their work.
To PhD students: If you are devoting or have devoted 3 or more years to your PhD, you could devote 3 minutes to explain it to a more general public, we challenge you!
- Create a video that best explains your work in a language appropriate to a signal processing general audience. The video should not be strictly longer than 3 minutes. Any video format is allowed.
- Upload your video to a site accessible by the evaluation committee. The video should be accessible for viewing and downloading. It is ok for the video to be hidden from search engines and accessible only with a private URL. However, it should not require a username/password to view. You can use, for example, DropBox, Google Drive, or your institution’s web server. The video is the one that will be posted on the conference website, so please make sure it is possible to download.
- Submit your entry via email at eusipco2021.3MT@conferencepartners.com no later than May 31, 2021. Make sure you include a Title, 1-page abstract/summary, Name, Affiliation and a link to the video location. The name of the video file should have the same name of the participant. Your one-page abstract will be included in the EUSIPCO 2021 proceedings.
- A shortlist of finalists will be selected by a jury composed by two members of the EURASIP BoD and the EUSIPCO 2021 Student Activity Chair.
Please address any questions related to the 3MT contest at eusipco2021.3MT@conferencepartners.com
Finalists are invited to give their 3MT presentation at EUSIPCO 2021. The three minutes duration of the presentation will be strictly controlled. Finalists will receive complimentary registration to attend EUSIPCO 2021 (please note that such free registration cannot be used to cover accepted papers).
Among the finalists, the top-three finalists will be selected by the EUSIPCO 2021 audience based on their live 3-minute presentation and they will be invited to attend the Conference dinner where the winner will be announced and awarded with a Grand prize of 1000€. The runners-up will receive an award certificate.
The video of the winner will be posted online on the EURASIP website.
Rules for Competition
The candidates MUST strictly follow the rules in the EURASIP website:
The 3MT EUSIPCO competition will be performed according to the following basic rules:
- Eligibility: any PhD student
- Every participant is required to submit a video of 3 minutes and 1 page summary of his PhD.
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or ‘movement’ of any description are allowed. The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration.
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g., no poems, raps or songs).
Previous EUSIPCO 3MT-Videos
If you need inspiration, have a look at the previous 3MT contest winners:
- 3MT video and one-page abstract submission due: May 31, 2021.
- Shortlist announced: June 18, 2021.
23 - 27 August 2021